NOVA PBS, WGBH, Boston, MA
Manager of Audience Development, 1/22 – present
Senior Digital Editor, 8/20 – 1/22
- Manage and develop digital strategy for NOVA, PBS’ most-watched ongoing television series, including its Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, Instagram, LinkedIn accounts, email newsletters, articles, and video.Key measures to date include:
• Social video views +125% since 2018
• Under-25 YouTube audience +137% in 2020 compared to 2019
• Average monthly podcast downloads +30%
• Increased newsletter subscribers from 60,000 to >230,000 from 2018 with a >20% open rate.
• Long-form broadcast streaming +99% from 2017 to 2020Responsibilities include:
• Manage digital editors.
• Write/edit and develop strategy for NOVA’s twice-weekly email newsletter.
• Report/write/edit articles for NOVA’s online publication, NOVA Next.
• Edit short-form digital videos and offer editorial and audience support.
• Write SEO-optimized headlines, subheads, and social language for articles and short-form digital videos, and write episode descriptions and produces visual assets for multiple NOVA YouTube series and the NOVA Now podcast.
• Develop marketing and social media strategy, and offer editorial support, for NOVA Now, a Shorty Award finalist.
• Mentor five PBS stations on social media and audience development growth and strategy.
NOVA PBS, WGBH, Boston, MA
Audience Engagement Editor, 4/18 – 8/20
- Managed and developed strategy for NOVA’s Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Reddit, and Instagram accounts.
- Wrote and edited NOVA newsletters and articles for its online publication, NOVA Next.
Produced and edited short-form digital videos and promotional videos for upcoming broadcasts.
Wrote SEO-optimized headlines/titles, subheads, and social language, for articles and short-form digital videos.
Northeastern University School of Journalism, Boston, MA
Multimedia Specialist, 11/17 – 4/18
- Write and edit features and profiles for School of Journalism website and Storybench.org
- Develop marketing and communications plans for graduate programs
- Produce video and social media content for Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Manage work/study students within department
- Plan departmental events, often working in collaboration with the Boston Globe, Christian Science Monitor and other local publications
University of California, San Francisco
Digital Storyteller, 7/17 – 10/17
- Write news briefs, features and profiles for University website
- Produce multimedia content for and manage UCSF Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Run Mount Sutro Open Space Reserve Management Plan communications with University Relations team
- Use Google Analytics, Buzzsumo, TrackMaven and Social Studio to analyze audience reach and engagement
The San Jose Mercury News, San Jose, CA
Editorial and Multimedia Intern, 1/17 – 6/17
- Report and write science-themed and breaking news pieces
- Produce videos and infographics
The Monterey Herald, Monterey, CA
Editorial Intern, 9/16 – 12/16
- Report and write science and environment-based articles for daily paper
New England Aquarium, Boston, MA
Visitor Educator, 9/13 – 7/15
- Write and deliver conservation-based presentations within main building to audiences between 15 and 500 individuals
- Lead exhibit and touch tank interpretations via direct communication with aquarium visitors
- Manage teen interns, volunteers and new staff members
Program Educator, 10/12 – 7/15
- Educate preschool through high school aged children and community members via scheduled outreach program events; write lesson plans and transport live animals to event locations
- Design and teach childhood marine science courses as part of the NEAq Homeschool Ocean Series program
Osa Conservation Sea Turtle Project, Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica
Research Field Assistant, 9/15 – 11/15
- Write journal entries for Osa Conservation website (www.osaconservation.org)
- Lead night and morning patrols on two sea turtle nesting beaches; relocate eggs to hatchery, triangulate wild nests, flipper tag nesting females, excavate nests, conduct routine temperature checks within a hatchery and measured, weigh and release hatchlings
- Enter and analyze data on hatchling emergence success rates, predation and location and frequency of nests using Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
- Mentor short-term volunteers and lead tour groups
Amazon Avian Ecology & Biodiversity, Madre de Dios, Peru
Earth Expeditions Master’s Course, 6/13 – 12/13
- Educate Indigenous children on biodiversity and conservation
- Conduct avian mist net surveys and soil sampling
- Complete online master’s coursework in Amazonian ecology and environmental issues
University of California, Santa Cruz
Science Communication Master’s Program
Graduation: June 2017
University of Colorado, Boulder
B.A. Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
Magna Cum Laude, Dean’s List
Graduation: May 2012 GPA: 3.6